Apply now for the position of Programme Officer Marine and Continental Fisheries Development in the ongoing Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) 2020/2021 recruitment exercise.
If you are interested and eligible for this position, then go through this article to get full information about this job opening and application process.
We only publish verified and authentic information about available jobs and recruitment updates.
Subscribe to our Telegram Channel and Email newsletter to be among the first to get updates about ECOWAS recruitment and other jobs.
Programme Officer Marine and Continental Fisheries Development Job Description and Application Details
|Job Title:||Programme Officer Marine and Continental Fisheries Development|
|Recruitment Agency||ECOWAS Commission|
|Job Location:||Abuja, Nigeria|
|Annual Salary||UA49,106.81, USD77480.72 / UA56,591.37, USD89,289.87|
|Academic Requirements||Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in development economics, fisheries economics or marine affairs with a specialization in marine and continental fisheries, or natural resource management and/or governance environmental policy and other field related to marine and continental fisheries from a recognized University|
|Work Experience||Five (5) years of relevant experience in aquaculture development and transformation, including experience in the formulation and/or implementation of aquaculture operations in ECOWAS countries|
|How to Apply||Send CV, completely filled application form and other required documents by email|
|Application Deadline:||10 November 2020|
Institution: ECOWAS COMMISSION
Department: Agriculture, Environment And Natural Resources
Directorate: Agriculture And Rural Development
Division: Animals Resources Development
Line Supervisor: Principal Programme Officer Animal Resources Development
Under the supervision of the Principal Programme Officer Animal Resources Development, the incumbent shall monitor and coordinate the ECOWAS actions related to the sector of marine and continental fishery sustainable development.
The Program Officer shall also ensure a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the ECOWAS in the region, develops, promotes and oversees ECOWAS strategic response to regional priorities.
Further (i) supports ECOWAP and regional policy dialogue on Food Security and Nutrition, Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries/Aquaculture and rural development issues; (ii) facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and (iii) supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Developing and maintaining partnerships with fishery experts from governments and stakeholders from private sector and other agencies/ fisheries institutions;
- Supporting the establishment of an effective and efficient marine and continental fisheries data collection, compilation and dissemination mechanism;
- Providing technical advice to potential investors on investment options available in the marine and continental fisheries sector;
- Preparing development marine and continental fisheries programs for funding;
- Promote knowledge sharing emerging from West Africa fishery programmes to stakeholders and ensure synergy and complementary activities;
- Formulate and propose regional projects and actions of investment for young people and women in aquaculture sectors and allow to mobilize international support funds,
- Contribute to the development of a work program for the production of aquatic animals, as well as to major new areas of work related to the increasing role of aquaculture in the rural development,
- Liaises with partners to increase producers’ access to the appropriate services and promote the development of sustainable aquaculture value chains which reduce risks and also guarantee economic and social benefits for actors in the value chain,
- Contribute to the organization of meetings, consultations and workshops on aspects and activities aimed at the sustainable development of aquaculture,
- Support the establishment of Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) for the promotion of aquaculture industries in the region and for the benefit of stakeholders for the development and production of sustainable aquaculture in the West African context.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in development economics, fisheries economics or marine affairs with a specialization in marine and continental fisheries, or natural resource management and/or governance environmental policy and other field related to marine and continental fisheries from a recognized University
- Five (5) years of relevant experience in aquaculture development and transformation, including experience in the formulation and/or implementation of aquaculture operations in ECOWAS countries,
- Extent and relevance of experience in providing scientific and technical support and advice to research and/or development projects in sustainable aquaculture,
- Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementing research and/or development programs on aquatic animals and their production and interaction with other agricultural sectors,
- Demonstrated results-based management skills and ability to effectively support programs, budgets and human resources in the context of changing priorities,
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing meetings, seminars and interactive training courses,
- Ability to mobilize resources for sustainable aquaculture development.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS KEY COMPETENCIES
- ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards;
- demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbiased and transparent manner.
Knowledge of ECOWAS
- knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
- exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- identify ,organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
Annual Salary for Programme Officer Marine and Continental Fisheries Development
The annual salary for the position of Programme Officer Marine and Continental Fisheries Development is about UA49,106.81, USD77480.72 / UA56,591.37, USD89,289.87
Application Closing Date
All interested and qualified candidates should send their applications on or before 10 November, 2020.
How to apply for the position of Ecowas Programme Officer Marine and Continental Fisheries Development
Remember to use the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
Learn more about this job opening from the ECOWAS official website.